Hello there, if you don’t know me then there’s only one thing you need to know. I love food and I love the USA, it’s like my home from home. I have been visiting the USA (Orlando, Florida) every year since I was about 6 months old. We don’t go as frequent anymore due to work commitments and other family and travel arrangements that my parents have. We went this year and while my hair dye is curing I thought it would be a good time to write a small list of the top 10 things I make sure I eat/drink every time I visit the USA.
If you have any favourites that you have to try when you go away or wish they imported it into the UK then please feel free to leave a comment below. Be good to see what other people like to try and if it’s something I’ve not tried then I shall put it on my list for next time I visit.
- Root beer – I love root beer, this is why it’s on the top of my list. I drink it in moderation now due to dad getting diabetes 2 years ago and need to keep my sugar intake limited. Every restaurant I go to my first question is ‘do you have root beer?’. I always buy a case back with me when I go to the USA, it’s my guilty pleasure.
- Dippin Dots – This is the best ice cream I have tasted, it’s cool, inventive, lots of flavours to choose from and we have refillable mugs we take over with us every time we go. Flavours range from Cookies ‘n’ Cream, Banana Split, Mint Chocolate to Rainbow Ice (which I have no idea what it’s meant to taste list but it’s nice!).
- Maine Lobster – I love lobster, it’s a luxury food in the UK but in the USA we love to go to Red Lobster (a sit down restaurant with Maine Lobster as their speciality) or Boston Lobster (a buffet style restaurant but a little on the expensive side for a buffet).
- New England Clam Chowder – You can’t go wrong with a New England Clam Chowder. It is so tasty I buy a few tins back to the UK.
- Denny’s pancakes – They are soooo fluuffffyyy! They are to die for and they have different variations too. Also, I found a Denny’s pancake mix in Walmart so we bought a pack home. I can’t wait to try it.
- NERDS – I know you can get these in the UK at certain sweet shops but these you can’t miss. They are little, crunchy, colourful balls of candy. If you can, the NERD ropes are the best (in my opinion).
- Turkey Leg – If you go to any Disney park they sell roasted turkey legs at stalls dotted around the park and they cannot be missed. They are massive, tasty and enough to feed 3 as a snack.
- Philly Cheesesteak – The best place to have a philly cheesesteak is to go to Charleys that is located in Florida Mall. All their sandwiches are made fresh, along with their fries (don’t call them chips otherwise you’ll get crisps).
- Barbeque – the USA is known for their barbeque. Food ranges from chicken to ribs and the best place that I have had a proper American barbeque was in Miami. The restaurant is called Shorty’s Bar-B-Q and is in South Miami but it’s definitely worth a visit if you are down that way. Their food is good value for money and ever so tasty.
- Carlo’s Bakery of Cake Boss – So, all my other must haves were things I found early on in my various visits to the USA but this one was from my most recent visit. Have a cake from Carlo’s Bakery of Cake Boss in Florida Mall. His cakes are to die for! If you have ever watched the Cake Boss, the cakes in his bakery are up to those standards and not that expensive. Definitely worth a try.
I hope this has been an interesting read and you try out these and let me know what your opinion of them are. If you have any that you think should be on the list then please comment below, I’m always up for trying new things.